Government

Local council urges residents not to recycle live ammunition

East Riding residents have been prompted not to bring live ammunition to local recycling facilities after a bullet was unintentionally fired at a metal recycling plant in Hull on 27 October.

The incident took place at the site during the process of sorting waste from a nearby household waste recycling centre (HWRC) in Carnaby. The bullet was set off after passing through a slow speed shredder, though, fortunately, no staff were injured. After the event, workers at the facility sorted through the remaining waste and discovered a second live bullet; it was later brought to light that a resident had placed the bullets into a container intended for domestic appliances at the Carnaby location.

Hull metal recycling plantFollowing the incident, East Riding of Yorkshire Council is encouraging residents to instead take live bullets or ammunition to their local police station, where they will be disposed of safely, rather than to local recycling facilities.

Paul Tripp, head of streetscene services at the council, commented: “This was a potentially dangerous situation and someone at the recycling site could have been seriously hurt. The person who had these bullets maybe hadn’t realised they were live and thought they were doing the right thing by recycling them.

“But these are dangerous items and they need to be disposed of safely and carefully by taking them to a police station. So we are urging residents to please, never take live ammunition to a recycling site or put it in their wheelie bins at home.”

Disposal of batteries

Following the bullet incident, the local council has also reissued a plea to residents requesting that they do not place batteries in their wheelie bins, instead encouraging them to place used batteries in designated drop off points either in supermarkets or their closest HWRC.

This comes after the starting of a fire on 3 November in the back of a waste truck in Bridlington, due to a battery being left in a bin – the second incident of the sort in two years in the area. The blaze was, fortunately, put out by local fire services.

The local government has also passed blame onto batteries for starting fires across municipal recycling facilities (MRFs) after being struck by sorting machinery.

Paul Tripp added: “Residents must understand that batteries can start fires. The best way to recycle them is to take them along to household waste recycling sites, or to local shops and supermarkets, where they’ll find special battery recycling containers.”