Defra releases full digest of latest UK waste and resource data
The latest digest of waste and resource statistics has been published by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), bringing all the UK’s published data on the sector into one place.
Now in its fourth edition, the digest contains the most up-to-date information on a range of key areas within the waste and resource sector. The publication states: ‘Waste and resources are subjects for which there is a wealth of published data and it can be challenging to readily find the data you want and of interest. The aim of this digest is to help by bringing together a wide range of key statistics on waste and resource into one publication.’
To this end, the digest brings together data published by Defra, the Environment Agency, the Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP), the Office for National Statistics and Eurostat. Each source is clearly stated alongside the information.
While most of the statistics contained in the digest have previously been published elsewhere, this is the only full compendium of data designed for ease of use by policy-makers, analysts and specialists from across the sector.
The ten key areas covered in the digest are as follows:
- Resource use (imports, exports, consumption)
- Waste generation (including UK figures on waste from households, commercial waste and packaging waste)
- The destination of waste (landfill, recycling, reuse etc.)
- The composition of waste
- Food waste
- Economic characteristics of the waste management sector
- Waste infrastructure
- Environmental issues relating to waste (such as litter, emissions from landfill)
- Behaviour relating to waste
The digest can be read in full on the government website.